An attribute profile is a predefined set of attribute values that can be automatically applied when assets are imported, added or moved into a folder. This feature is handy for organizations that want to ensure certain attribute values are consistently applied without manual intervention.
Creating an attribute profile
- Log into NetX as an administrator. Click on System > Attribute Profiles. Click the Add attribute profile button to create a new profile.
- Once the New attribute profile modal has appeared, enter the name of the attribute profile.
To add more attributes, click Add attribute.
Enter the value you want to set for the attribute. By default, values that you enter here will replace any existing data on the asset. However, there are 2 other modes that are available depending on the type of attribute you are working with:
Append: Will insert the value at the end of any existing text/text area content. This mode is triggered via the Append toggle above the value field.
Empty: This option will clear any pre-existing values that were present on the asset. This mode is triggered via the trashcan icon at the end of the value field.
If an attribute in your profile is set as mandatory, you will not be able to empty its values. If this attribute's mandatory status is changed after the profile is created, you must remove it and re-add it to the profile for the proper empty behavior to take effect.
- Click Save when finished.
Linking an attribute profile to a folder
- Now that you've created an attribute profile, you can associate it with a folder. Click on the Folders icon to open up the folder tree.
- Choose the folder you wish to link the profile to. Right-click on it and select Edit folder.
- Once the edit folder modal appears, scroll down to Attribute profile. Begin typing to search for the profile you wish to link.
- When finished choosing a profile, click Save.
If you wish to unlink an attribute profile, click the Reset button. This will stop the attribute profile from triggering when assets are imported, added, or moved into the folder but will not remove any existing values.
Attribute profiles only take effect on assets that are moved, added, or imported to a folder after a profile has been linked to it. Linking an attribute profile to a folder that already contains assets will not edit attribute values on those assets.
Editing an attribute profile
- To edit an existing profile, go into System > Attribute Profiles, and click on the profile you wish to change.
- You can change values, switch to empty or append modes or add/remove attributes.
- Click Save when finished. Your changes will be reflected the next time an asset is imported, moved or added into a folder the profile is linked to.
To delete an attribute profile from the system, right-click on the profile and click Delete. This will not remove any values, but will remove the link to any folders.
Attribute update precedence
If an asset exists in multiple folders that contain profiles—and those profiles specify operations on the same attribute—the profile that was last applied will take precedence. For example, if you add an asset to another folder, it could overwrite values that were previously set via another profile or manually entered during import. For more information, see Attribute Update Precedence.AutoTask compatibility
When assets are added to a folder via AutoTask, the attribute profile system is bypassed and will not update attribute values based on an attached profile. However, an AutoTask can be triggered by an attribute change made using an attribute profile.