A share link grants external users download access to NetX assets and constituent files. Share links can be created by users that are Consumer-level or higher.
Creating a share link
Sharing a single asset
- Click the share action from the asset detail page.
- In the gallery, right-click the asset's thumbnail and click Share.
Sharing a selection of assets
- Use the Share button along the selection bar.
- Right-click a selected asset's thumbnail in the gallery and choosing Share.
Sharing a folder, collection, or saved search
Click the gallery header action menu while viewing collections, folders, and saved searches. Choose Share to share gallery contents via share link.
Creating a link using the links manager
- Click the upper-left plus button to create a new share link.
- Give your link an Access type. This can be asset, collection, folder, or saved search.
- Enter the name of the asset, collection, folder, or saved search.
- Configure the duration and security options, then click Choose options to select the type of asset files you wish to provide in the link.
- Click Create link.
- After the link is created, you can Copy to clipboard or Email link directly to recipients.
Configuring a share link
- Shows the type of content being shared. In the above example, the link action was initiated using the selection bar, so there is a selection of assets being shared. This field is not editable when creating a share link via the share action.
- Your share link's Title. This title appears at the top of the share link's download page.
- The Duration for the link. There are two duration options: an Expiration date which disables the link after the specified date, or the Number of uses allowed before the link is disabled. Note: if a link is edited after creation, the number of uses will not reset to zero.
- Provide a Password for the link. Without the password, users will not be able to access, view, or download any assets or options included in the share link.
- Cancel closes the share link window without creating a link or saving any configuration; Choose options launches the Download options window.
Using Download options, you can choose a variety of files and data to include in your share link. These options may be limited or change depending on the type of assets you are downloading.
- The option to include the Original asset(s) is always available, regardless of selection or attribute type.
- Thumbnails and Previews are generated on upload for certain types of assets; if all of the assets you are sharing have these proxy files available, both of these options will appear. Thumbnails are sized at approximately 150x100 pixels, or 100x150 depending on the original asset's orientation. Previews are sized at 500 pixels on the longest side, with the shorter side varying depending on the original asset's aspect ratio.
- Any asset view files attached to the asset(s) will appear here. If sharing multiple assets, this option only displays if all assets have at least one view in common, and only those common views appear in the Download options window.
- If your administrator has configured any image presets, they appear here. Video assets have preset options as well, allowing you to download videos in varying qualities and resolutions. Note that presets will not be available to download independently once your share link is created.
- The PDF tab allows you to include a PDF.
- The Attribute info tab presents the option to export attribute data. If attribute history is enabled, an option to export attribute history for the assets is displayed.
- Exit the share link process without saving any configuration details.
- Cancel ends the share link process without saving any configuration details; Create link will generate your share link URL.
Managing share links
Share links can be managed by the user who created the link. Administrators can view all links that have been created in the system. Use the Toolsbutton along the lefthand navigation sidebar to navigate to the Links section. From this tab, you can manage any existing share links or create new ones.
Creating a share link
Links can be created from the links tab by using the upper-left plus icon.
Editing share links
Share links, once created, can be reconfigured with new security, expiration, or download options.
- Click the action menu button on the link you wish to edit.
- Choose Edit.
- Edit your link as though you were creating a new link. Note: you cannot modify which assets are included in the link.
Deleting share links
- Click the action menu button which corresponds to the desired link.
- Choose Delete. There will be a confirmation dialogue.
- Click Delete once more to confirm.
To quickly copy the URL for a particular share link, click the Copy URL button which accompanies each link.
Link URLs can be emailed directly from the application:
- Click the action menu button corresponding to the link you are editing.
- Choose Email link.
- In the Email field, type the email address of the recipient. To enter multiple email addresses, separate them with a comma.
- Type an optional Message to be sent to recipients along with the link's URL.
Accessing share links
When a user accesses a share link in their browser, they are presented with a download page that displays original files, file derivatives (e.g. a thumbnail), or metadata which has been applied to the shared assets in NetX.
- The Title of the link, number of assets, and configured duration – in the example above, the number of uses left for the link is shown. Click the top left download button to begin a download of all assets, any derivatives, PDFs, and attribute data to your local storage.
- If a PDF sheet is configured and attached to a share link, download it using the download button to the right of its thumbnail.
- If the link was created with attribute data attached, download it using the download button to the right of its thumbnail.
- Assets display in a list with their thumbnail, name, file extension, and size. If any derivative or proxy download options were included in the link, click the button to reveal them.
- Use the download button to the right of the asset's thumbnail to download the asset and all proxies and derivatives that have been included in the link.
- Download asset thumbnails using the download button labeled Thumbnail once the button is clicked.
- Download asset previews using the download button labeled Preview once the button is clicked.
- Any presets included in the share link display the name of the preset followed by a Preset label. You will not be able to download a preset individually, only as part of a bulk download of the main asset or all of the assets at once.
- Download asset views using the download button labeled View once the button is clicked.
Certain file types may be previewed directly from the share link without needing to download the file first. Images can be expanded by clicking its thumbnail, while videos can be played directly in the browser by clicking its thumbnail and using the controls on the subsequent video player.